Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day, y’all!

It’s Earth Day today!

I love Earth Day! I love hearing about all the great ideas people have for recycling, conserving, and making the earth a better, cleaner place. A lot of people have grand ideas and spend a lot of time on this, but there are a lot of things you can do simply, easily, and even for free!

Turn out the lights!! If you don’t need it, turn it off!

Same goes for the tv.

Wash your clothes in cold. Yes, they really do get just as clean.

Use “green” products where you can. Sometimes they cost more, sometimes they don’t. Vinegar and water is a great cleaner, and I promise the smell doesn’t linger.

Recycle. Cans, bottles, newspapers, cardboard, milk cartons – all can be recycled!! My city even provides free containers for paper products. All you have to do is call and request one and they will drop it off! It goes out with your regular trash – no excuse not to! Teach your kids the difference between trash and recycling early. It will never be an issue if things have always been done this way, and they are more likely to do it themselves when they get older.

Cloth grocery bags. Available almost anywhere, bigger and stronger than paper or plastic, and can be used forever. They’re awe-some, I promise!

Don’t buy plastic water bottles!!!!! Get yourself a nice bottle you can re-use, and fill it up! If you don’t like your tap water, get a water cooler, or jugs of spring water – reuse those milk jugs!! There are so many ways around plastic water bottles.

For the hardcore… electric tools.

We have an electric lawnmower. It runs on batteries, and honestly is the easiest to start, best running lawnmower we’ve EVER had. I highly recommend it! Below is a shot of the one we have:

Photobucket

You can also get tools that run on a cord. My leaf blower and weed eater are electric, but I do need a power cord for them. No big, I have 2 long super cords and an outlet in my garage. So very easy!

If you’re in the market for any of these products, I highly recommend electric! Think of the money you’ll save on gas!

My last suggestion/idea is a hybrid or alow emissions vehicle. That’s one big bonus with my new car – it is a certified low emissions vehicle (LEV). I love that! It uses very little gas and doesn’t put as much “bad stuff” back out. This is a BIG purchase, but still, if you’re in the market it’s definitely something you should consider.

Hopefully we’re all already doing what we can for our planet, but if I’ve mentioned anything here you hadn’t thought of or would like more information on, please leave a comment and I will help in any way I can.

Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

palmtreefanatic said...

I always wash clothes in cold water;)

palmtreefanatic said...

I thought of another one! Hanging clothes out on the line rather then working the dryer;)