Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hug your babies, count your blessings

I feel compelled to write this down. I read a lot of blogs. Some every day, some once, twice, linked from other blogs, found by accident. This week, I found a blog that made my heart hurt and my arms ache to hold my babies.

I was reading this post on Tracey’s blog and went on to read about Hannah’s mom. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything so tragic, so loving, so beautiful, and so very full of pride and hurt. I ache for this mom, this family that I have never and will never meet. What a beautiful little girl, what a terrible loss.

The very thought makes me hurt all over. My stomach hurts, my heart hurts, my arms ache to hold my boys tight and protect them from all the horrible things that could happen. It happens every day to families who never think it could happen to them. It makes me want to be a better mom, to make sure beyond any doubt that they know I love them more than my next breath, that they’re the reason I get up in the morning, that those 2 sets of brown eyes are the most amazing things I’ve ever seen and oh God how very lucky I am to have them.

Don’t waste it. Hug your babies, tell them you love them, dress up in sparklies in honor of Hannah, play a silly game, pick some flowers, have a tickle fight. Above all, be there. Be the strength behind everything they do, love them so hard they feel it no matter where they are. We have no way of knowing what life will bring next, so live it as hard as you can.

No comments: