Friday, June 15, 2007

Daycare switch hell

Have I posted that Kyan is at a new daycare? I don't know if I did. It's so hard to find the time to post anymore (especially since blogger is NO LONGER COMPATIBLE with my mac at work!) that I don't know what I've posted and what I haven't. Regardless, our super-wonderful-love-her-to-death daycare provider is moving to South Carolina and we're going to miss her like crazy. That also means we needed to find a new home for Kyan during the days. Lynn suggested someone, we met her, liked her, and started Kyan over there, and that's where things got rough.

Kyan isn't the most adaptable kid to begin with. He wants things the way he wants them and if he's not happy, he lets you know it. I wouldn't call him difficult, exactly, but headstrong for sure. Yeah, definitely headstrong. But that's not what this is. Lynn has a little boy, just his age, I think 2-3 months older, named Chad. He and Kyan are best friends, brothers. They have spent all day together since Kyan started there last August. That's not long to you and me, but to Kyan and Chad, it's been forever. I don't think they can remember ever not having each other.

So, while our new provider is great, she's not Lynn and she doesn't have Chad. And Kyan is very, very sad. I even got a call at work yesterday about how pitifully sad Kyan is. She said he's breaking her heart... he's not being difficult, he's not being whiney, but he's so very sad and nobody - not even Mommy - knows how to help him. He's grieving, he's hurting, he misses his friend so much, and he's not big enough yet to understand what's going on. I can't explain this one to him and it hurts to see him so hurt.

Lynn brought Chad over last night to visit and Kyan was so happy! After they left he smiled at me, jumped up and down and said, "I play Chad today!" That's the happiest I've seen him in a week. We're going out this morning, but after nap this afternoon we're going to go to their house to visit. I'm going to bring my camera and get some pictures so Kyan will have them, but we can't do this forever. They're leaving Weds to go look at a house Lynn's husband found and if they like it they'll stay to sign papers and do the closing. All they'll have left to do here is sell their house. So he can't get used to going to Chad's house to play.

I wish I knew what to do to make this easier for him. I wish there was some way to let Kyan know that Chad is okay, Lynn still loves him and they miss him, but they're going to be living somewhere else soon, too far to go play. I wish I could fix it all for him and I just can't. And that makes ME sad.

No comments: