Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door?!

And no, the title has nothing to do with anything. I just like it.

Anyway, just when I think the school system is going to work in our favor, they let me down again.

They’ve changed their minds and refused to test Jabe for ADD. I’ve been told by a few people (teachers, 1 special ed) that this is illegal.

Huuuuuge sigh here…

I don’t really want to fight the school system. I don’t want to get into all of that. I just want my boy to get what he needs to have a good time with school, to not feel “less than” the other kids again. It really makes me wonder what in the world his school records say that the teacher would decide not to test him because of them. Especially if it’s illegal for her to do this?

So, we go to the doctor on Friday and talk to him about it. See what he thinks. One way or another I feel like I need to get something done. I did take some initiative and have begun a “behavior chart.” Basically it’s a calendar (I’ve only got September done so far and we’re past halfway in this month!) with spaces to mark behavior problems or triumphs. At different intervals I will be putting special rewards – yes I will be rewarding this child if he does well! This month, since there’s so little left, has only got a reward on the 29th. If we have little to no problems before then, he’ll get a small reward – rent a video game, out to dinner alone with mom, out to see a movie, etc – something relatively inexpensive. After that, there’ll be different levels of reward for more time with no issues. Yeah I know, but do you have a better idea?

Me either. So we’ll see how this goes. Heck, last night he volunteered to do the dinner dishes for me! That’s a definite first and earned him a +1 on the chart. Whatever works.

And as if I didn’t have enough to think about, Kyan’s got a cold. Nasty runny nose, croupy sounding cough, slightly elevated temp on Monday (didn’t go over 101.5) and he’s just not feelin’ good. Poor baby!! I tried giving him infant’s cold medicine but he spits about half of it out, so it really doesn’t seem to do much good. There’s just not a lot you can do for a cold…. He’s just gotta suffer thru it. Poor little guy. It’s just really pathetic hearing that hoarse little cry and knowing there isn’t a damn thing you can do to fix it.

Hopefully this weekend will bring better news on all fronts. Stay tuned!

No comments: